Thursday, November 13, 2008

Maraschino Cherry Thumb print Cookies

Here are some yummy cookies that are fun for Christmas. Of all the cookies I make these are Royce's favorite. I like them because they're really pretty :)

Maraschino Chocolate Thumb print Cookies

2 (10oz) Jars of Maraschino Cherries
1 1/2 C Flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2c butter, softened
1 c granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 c semisweet chocolate chips
2 TBSP milk

Drain cherries, reserving 1 tsp juice. Combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Put butter and sugar in medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium for 3-4 min. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture; mix well.
Put chocolate chips and milk in a small saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, on low heat until chocolate melts. Add reserved cherry juice. Let cool slightly.
Shape dough into 1"balls. Place on ungreased baking pan. Push in centers with thumbs(I never use my thumb...I have a knife with a round handle at the end, so I never use my thumb:) ), then spoon 1 tsp chocolate mixture into each thumb print and top with a cherry. Bake at 350deg for 10-12 min, or until cookies are firm. (Be sure not to overcook, or they become hard...not as tasty) Let cool on wire racks.

No comments: