Thursday, April 30, 2009

Potato and Green Onion Soup


I found a good recipe for a creamy potato soup, but I changed it up, and I like it better this way.

4-5 med/large potatoes
2 bunches green onions
1 TBSP chicken base, or 1 chicken bouillon cube
1 1/2 oz cream cheese
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
4 c milk (I used half skim half 2%, because that's that's what I had)
2 tsp garlic powder
salt/pepper as needed

Dice up green onions, saving 2/3 of green onion tops. Peal potatoes and boil with green onion until potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.

In a medium size sauce pan, melt butter and cream cheese, mix in chicken base, then flour. Slowly add milk, then bring to a boil, stiring frequently. Then add the cream cheese and let it melt. (Thanks Michele!) Reduce heat and simmer until it thickens as thick as you like your soup :). Add the potatoes/onions, and cook a few more minutes. Garnish with green onion tops, and serve.

3 comments:

mkt said...

I have a tomato soup recipe that uses cream cheese and I find it's best to heat the liquid and then add cream cheese that is at room temperature. To get it really smooth quickly, use an immersion blender.

Tori said...

Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this!!!


Cabbage Diet soup
Cabbage Soup Diet